Saturday, September 26, 2009

Trip preparation task: pack... and relax!


It's a little late in the game (I'm heading off to Montreal with Dan in a few hours) but I finally have a packing list. Packing is definitely my least-favourite task and I tend to procrastinate, but when I woke up this morning with worsening flu symptoms and a laundry list of things to do, including volunteering for Impact Day, it really hit me that I need to get moving.

My proudest achievement during my last jaunt to Africa was packing 3 weeks worth of gear into that 25-L daypack that is typically reserved for hauling around my work laptop. Packing lightly is an art perfected over years of travelling and I want to be similarly lightweight on this trip.

This trip is just under 2 months, so it was pretty challenging to figure how little I could live with and how MacGyver-esque I could be with just a few items. This time I am taking a 36-L daypack and a 50-L drybag to accommodate some extras (like a small tent and sleeping bags for Turkey). The final pile of things is pictured at left (that bag of white powder is laundry detergent, FYI).

My rent cheques are signed, my plants have been moved to Nadya's home, my food's eaten... what's left? Crashing at my sister's place in Montreal and... relaxing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment